|Phineas and Ferb's Quantum Boogaloo|
|Story by||Scott Peterson|
|Directed by||Zac Moncrief|
|Disney Channel US Premiere||September 25, 2009|
|International Premieres||September 21, 2009
April 23, 2010 (Disney Channel UK)
|Disney XD Premiere||September 21, 2009|
Phineas and Ferb travel to the future to find a tool that fuses metal with wood. There they encounter a 35-year old Candace who follows them back through time and finally busts her brothers as they are building their rollercoaster, but also accidentally foils Agent P's plan to defeat Dr. Doofenshmirtz, setting off a chain reaction that turns the future into a dystopian society.
Phineas and Ferb are in the backyard with Baljeet, making a "superstructure." Phineas says they need a tool that fuses metal and wood, which will only be available 20 years into the future. Baljeet reveals his formula for time travel, which is not yet perfected. Phineas suggests they use the museum time machine. Baljeet leaves angrily saying "Well, thank you for inviting me!"—angry that he did all his work for nothing. The boys and Isabella, who has just arrived with her usual query, leave for the museum, with a somewhat insane Candace following them. There, they depart for the future, with Candace staying behind to bust them when they return, right at that spot (or perhaps a little to the left).
In the future, Phineas leaves Isabella with the time machine, claiming she's "the only one they can trust." However, about a minute later, Isabella, in a fit of lovestruck absentmindedness, leans against the machine’s lever, and departs for the past. Phineas surveys the changes made to Danville before spying an older, calmer Candace, along with her children Amanda, Xavier and Fred in the backyard. Amanda complains about how Xavier and Fred are wasting their summer vacation, then complains to Candace that the boys never do anything. Phineas and Ferb talk to their future nephews, and are disappointed by their lack of imagination of what to do with their vacation and offer suggestions with a song by Bowling for Soup. Xavier and Fred decide to build bumper cars that travel in the 5th dimension, and give Phineas a wood-metal fuser. Candace spies the young Phineas and Ferb through the window (as usual) while talking to still-friend Stacy (who has become the president of Uruguay), and goes to spy on them. Once she gets spotted, she runs to get future Linda in order to finally bust the boys.
Isabella returns to the future at the museum, displaying various time-travel souvenirs, as the boys climb in. Old Candace drags Mom through the future museum just in time, but Linda gets distracted by an old dinosaur bone and misses the time machine disappearing. Back in the present, a parallel scene unfolds with present Candace and Linda: Mom misses the arrival, remarking on the size of the dinosaur whose bone was unearthed, which is the one the future Linda remarks about (actually, the size of one bone turns out to be no guarantee).
Meanwhile, in the future museum, without a time machine, Professor Onassis arrives with his original time machine, just invented, and decides to settle in this time period: corn dogs are a reality at last. A determined Candace immediately borrows it to go to the day of the roller coaster to bust Phineas and Ferb—it was the very first day of summer vacation.
Now events in the present appear as originally seen in Rollercoaster. But just after Candace screams at the barren pillar where the rollercoaster ad once was, future Candace takes Linda outside so she can see the actual rollercoaster for herself. Linda freaks out and starts making calls to get Phineas and Ferb busted.
This has the catastrophic side effect of causing the helicopter which Perry had used to lift the giant magnet to change course, making Perry miss with the grappling hook and get hit by the giant ball of tin foil while Dr. Doofenshmirtz jumps to the lower roof of his building, exclaiming, “I’m alive!”.
Linda yells at Phineas and Ferb for their reckless acts. Future Candace returns to her time, satisfied with her work.
However, that joy is short-lived once she notices the bleak world she's returned to. She learns that Phineas and Ferb getting busted caused outraged parents to overreact and remove anything creative and fun, eventually child-proofing children.
This, and Perry being in a body cast for 18 months (one year and six months), allowed Doofenshmirtz to get the upper hand—he has become emperor Doofenshmirtz! Among his various edicts are that everyone must wear lab coats, change all their names to Joe (the easier for Heinz to say “How’re ya doin’, Joe?”), and they must bask in his glory whenever passing his statue.
Candace then must return to the present, to stop her slightly younger self from barging into the supermarket to bust her brothers. She succeeds with the time machine (now removed to a junkyard—it arrives back as the first item of junk is deposited in a park), and both older versions of Candace hide behind a car to watch events proceed unaltered: now they see how the helicopter snatched that rollercoaster!
The Candace who ended up in the dystopia tells her slightly-younger self about the future, and they agree they must stop altering the past.
They rush to the “junkyard” time machine to return to the future, but now it gets smashed by the giant tin foil ball. Figuring Phineas and Ferb are their only hope of returning home, they go to the backyard after Linda sees the boys under the tree but before the tree explodes. Phineas is shocked at there being two mature versions of Candace, and they explain their situations. Phineas points out that, since the bad future will no longer happen, that Candace should cease to exist, which immediately happens: “Oh darn.”
Phineas, Ferb, Isabella and future Candace go to the museum to fix the time machine that's still sitting there, and young Candace follows behind. She tries to convince future Candace to come back with her to bust the boys, but she explains that she no longer has any interest in busting them. Disappointed, she tags along in the time travel to the future.
In the future, Candace triumphantly rushes to find Linda, being the only proof she needs to bust Phineas and Ferb. The boys and Isabella follow her to maintain the time-space continuum. Linda is shocked at Candace being so young, while the children are shocked at Linda's oldness. Young Candace is disappointed that the boys receive no punishment, but settles for the fact that the boys were, indeed, busted.
At the museum, before returning to the present, future Candace gets the boys to promise never to time travel to the future again. Isabella disappears for a brief while, reappearing later in the time machine with a soda. Amanda then mentions how Isabella looks like her aunt, which she takes to mean she marries Phineas, but Candace points out she might marry Ferb that he cheerfully acknowledges the possibility with a sly gesture leaving her speechless. The boys go home, and we get a brief look at the hyper-dimensional bumper cars that Xavier and Fred build and comment to their sister that they doing nothing and she says that they still never do anything. Candace's tells her daughter to give it a rest and Linda comment it brings back memories and Candace can relate it.
In the present, Candace declares that, now knowing the boys can be busted, she will never stop trying to do so. As she left, Ferb later commented that they learn that she will mellow with age.
- Second verse of the extended version of Today is Gonna Be a Great Day
- Charmed Life
Isabella travels back in time to just after Phineas decides to travel to the future and stops them by giving them the wood-metal fuser they needed in the first place. Phineas offers her a soda, which she accepts—she vanishes with it. Phineas points out that now they don't need to travel to the future. Ferb says maybe some other time. During the end logos, Candace yells I'm watching you!!
About the FutureEdit
- Future Phineas and Ferb are not shown, but they are mentioned.
- Candace has three children, identical to her own family - two sons, Xavier and Fred, and a daughter, Amanda and it is implied that she and Jeremy have gotten married (due to the fact that Xavier bears a resemblance to Jeremy, also Candace mentions several times that when she marries Jeremy she will name her kids Xavier and Amanda).
- Some of the plot-line is similar to Back to The Future II.
- Perry is alive (albeit very old) in the future, still battling Doofenshmirtz... at checkers!
- Any relationship (Phineas & Isabella, Candace & Jeremy, etc.) is not shown in this episode. It is, however, mentioned that Isabella does eventually marry one of the two brothers— which brother it is is not made clear.
- The antique shop still exists and is running.
- 30 year old Phineas is in Switzerland to receive an award. Most likely NOT the Nobel Prize since it is awarded in Sweden.
- 30 year old Ferb is in Camp David. Most likely in an advisory role, since being 30 would be too young to be President (35 years old is the minimum age for president). Also, the President must be American-born, whereas Ferb was born in England.
- Stacy is the President of Uruguay.
- The second verse of the full theme song is sung during near the end of the first third.
- Phineas and Ferb are around 10 years old in the present. They may be slightly older, as Mom says that the boys are 30 years old at that time. It is a possibility Linda could have been stating that the boys were in their 30s and a little too old to be busted, which would mean that they could be older than 10.
- If the current time stream stays the way it is seen to end up going, the only time Phineas and Ferb will ever get busted is 20 years in the future, and nothing will come of it.
- If "Attack of the 50 Foot Sister" took place before this episode, there would be a discrepancy between the size of Future Candace and the world as it was in "Rollercoaster".
- Isabella went to the past and gave them the steel-wood fuser they needed. This would stop the episode from making a alternate ending on Rollercoaster and stop messing up the Future. In the episode, Phineas and Ferb inadvertently created a temporal paradox. There are many other paradoxes in the episode, most of which are hand-waved away.
- It is unknown if the Doofenshmirtz empire holds in the alternate future, because it is unknown if he remarried or if Vanessa becomes next in power.
- Ferb might have not married Vanessa because future Candace doesn't know who Doofenshmirtz is.
- It is possible that Candace never got her driver's license, since she isn't seen driving in this episode.
- The man at the museum looks very young on his first day. However, in 20 years, he seems to have aged dramatically.
The "Too Young" LineEdit
|Future Linda Flynn: Ha... Hi boys, aren't you boys a little too young to be time travelers?Phineas: Yes, yes we are.|
|Isabella: Did you hear that? Aunt Isabella! That means I'm gonna marry Phineas!Candace: Or Ferb.Ferb turns around, winks, points and makes a clicking noise to Isabella, leaving her speechless.|
|Ferb: Well... at least we know she mellows with age.|
|Phineas: Well, looks like we don't have to go to the future after all.Ferb: Some other time, perhaps.|
|Isabella: Hey guys, Whatcha doin'?Phineas: We're time traveling.Isabella: Can I come?
Phineas: Why not?
|Phineas: Hi guys, Whatcha doin'?Xavier: I'm sitting under this digital tree.Fred: I'm sitting next to him.|
Perry's entrance to his lairEdit
|Phineas: So, what are you guys gonna make this summer? How about... bumper cars that move in five dimensions?Xavier: Oh yeah. Okay, we'll do that.Phineas: We'd love to stay and help, but we've gotta find a wood-and-steel-fusing tool.
Xavier: Fred's got one. Fred: I'm sitting on it! Xavier: I'm sitting next to it! Phineas: Fantastic. Thanks guys! Have a good future! Phineas and Ferb walk away, leaving Xavier and Fred. Xavier: I like that kid. Fred: I like the kid standing next to him!
|Phineas: Candace! You're grown up! And there's two of you!|
|Phineas: Shouldn't the Candace from the bad future cease to exist too?Candace (from bad future): Oh darn.She zaps out of existence.|
|Future Candace explains her predicament.
Phineas: Ferb, isn't there an old time machine in the museum of natural history? Future Candace: Yes, that's the one you fix later this summer when we go to the museum. It's the one I took back from the future but now it's destroyed! Phineas: Okay, so the future time machine gets destroyed. That means the one in the present is rarein' to go! We'll fix it, take you to the future, bring back the time machine, and unfix it again. So it'll be ready to fix when we go to the museum next time! Future Candace: Phineas, I'm a fully grown woman and I didn't understand any of that. Phineas: Just trust me! Come on! Phineas drags future Candace away. Isabella: Wow! Roller-coaster ride, now this. Bonus.
|Linda: Candace! You're so young!Candace: Mom! You're sooo...Linda: Don't say it...
Candace: ...ooooooooo... Linda: You don't have say that word... Candace: ...llllllllllddddddddd... Linda: I mean it! Phineas: Mom! You're so OLD!!!
|Amanda: So that's Uncle Phineas and Ferb as kids.Adult Candace: That's right.Amanda: And that girl looks like Aunt Isabella.
Isabella: Did you hear that? 'Aunt Isabella'! That means I'm gonna marry Phineas! Young Candace: Or Ferb. Ferb turns around, winks, points and makes a clicking noise to Isabella
|Candace: Oh man! In twenty years you guys are so busted! I guess that's a hollow victory... But I proves that you can be busted, so I'm never gonna give up! Never, never, never!|
|Baljeet: You got to hang out with dinosaurs?Phineas: Yeah, earlier this summer.Ferb shows photographs of him and Phineas on top of dinosaurs
Baljeet: Hmm. while pushing away chalkboard Well, thank you for inviting me. Phineas: Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Isabella zaps in on the time machine Isabella: No, you don't. Here's the wood and steel fusing tool you need. Isabella holds out and hands the tool to Phineas Phineas: Thanks. Hey, want a soda? Isabella: Thanks! Isabella grabs a soda from off the ground and zaps back in the time machine Phineas: Well, looks like we don't have to go to the future after all. Ferb: Some other time perhaps.
- Bowling for Soup sings the second verse of Today is Gonna Be a Great Day in the future features the extended version of the theme song.]
- A clip of this episode was shown at Comic Con 2009
- Phineas knows Bowling For Soup and even says the name of the band to Xavier and Fred.
- This implies that in the present, Phineas and Ferb are around 10 years old.
- Phineas had the same voice as he normally does, even after Candace from the future stopped her future self (from before) from busting them, and they were in the backyard, even though he should have the voice he had in "Rollercoaster".
- At the end of the archival footage as Emperor Doofenshmirtz's image is shown, he sings the opening notes of Also sprach Zarathustra, made famous by the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- The giant bone appears in the present, when it is about to be displayed; future, in the same location; and altered future, on top of the time machine in the city dump.
- Although meant as a throwaway gag, the producers actually had to create a complicated backstory in order to alleviate Disney Television Animation president of original series Jill Sanford's concerns as to how exactly Stacy could qualify to become president of Uruguay. As explained by Jeff "Swampy" Marsh in an interview with Wired's GeekDad blog: "Dan immediately answered with this great 'well, back at this time, she met this guy who was actually the son of a Uruguayan diplomat, she moved there, 20 years after the law was changed for her to...' and there's actually a whole backstory about how Stacy managed to qualify and, you know, passing some sweeping llama legislation brought her to the forefront of Uruguayan politics."
- The song "Today is Gonna Be a Great Day" isn't translated in any of the other lenguages' versions of this episode, probably due to copyrights issues with Bowling for Soup.
- During the story we hear that Isabella uses the time machine without the machine moving positions in any time period, however during the credits Isabella somehow traveled to the present Flynn Family's backyard from the future museum.
- When Adult Candace advises the Phineas and Ferb not to travel into the future again, Phineas pointed out that they came to the future for the steel and wood fusing device, but he couldn't have known this because he was the Phineas from the beginning of summer and he wasn't working on (and probably hasn't even came up with the idea of) the superstructure from the beginning of the episode. It could be possible that the boys were informed about about this when they arrived in the future.
- In this episode, it states that the events of the day Phineas and Ferb build the rollercoaster were on the first day of the summer. However, on that day, Linda talks to Candace about another of the boys' ideas, making it the second day of the summer. Linda could be referring to the previous summer, although Candace says that this is the first summer they did these things. ("Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!")
- On the checkers board Perry and Doofenshmirtz used, it shows two checkers side-by-side. In checkers, all pieces stay on one of the two colors the entire game. However, it is possible that in the future, that the rule has changed, or that's just how Perry and Dr. Doofenshmirtz play.
- The tree is supposed to explode about 20 seconds after it did in this episode.
- The Time Machine is not plugged in because it's at an unpowered dump. It is possible that the inventor that brought the second Time Machine to the Future built a self-powered Time Machine, but it seems more likely that it's a canon goof.
- Candace from a good future says "So that's how that happened", but she did see the helicopter carrying the rollercoaster. However, it is possible that she forgot about this within the years that passed.
- When Phineas, Ferb, and Isabella were going to fix the time machine with the Candace from a good future, while Isabella was talking to Ferb, the larger eye was in front of the smaller eye.
- When the future Candace goes to the antique shop to tell Linda about the boys, Linda is standing behind the counter. However, when she's telling Candace about her comeback tour, she's standing in front of the counter.
- When the older Candace enters the "Super Food and Stuff Mart" the sign on the front disappears but reappears when she drags mom out of the store.
- The Time Machine was on a stand in the museum, however in these events it is on the floor.
- The Time Machine that Phineas and Ferb use to travel to the past was on the same spot as the second Time Machine, so the first Time Machine would be destroyed.
- How did past Isabella know what time Phineas and Ferb needed the wood-steel fusing tool? It's possible since she started time traveling after they realized they needed it, she got the tool for them in the future and back to the time after Baljeet angrily left and gave it to them.
- Perry gets injured during a failed attempt of escape. He ends up in hospital with broken bones for several months. Why didn't Major Monogram replace him with another agent, and weren't Phineas and Ferb worried at all as they did not know where he was?
- Candace from the good future is seen taking the time machine that the original time traveler from the 19th century came from. Later it's destroyed by the giant tin foil ball. Therefore, the professor would never be able to return to the past, therefore the time machine in the museum (that time machine 200 years older) should have never been. Not in It's About Time!, not at the beginning of the episode, not when she would use it to go back to the past to bust her brothers and not later when older Candace returns with Phineas, Ferb, Isabella and her younger self. This creates a paradox of the origins of the time machine. Of course, the time traveler could have built another time machine and went back to the past with that one.
- In It's About Time! it's mentioned that the time machine was never finished. In this episode we see the builder of the time machine go to the future with a finished one.
- When Isabella finds out she marries Phineas (or Ferb), a railing (or part of the wlall) behind the time machine is near the top of the seat. But after Ferb winks at her, it is near the middle.
- When Isabella compliments Phineas on the rollercoaster, Perry can be seen laying in front of them. But when the two Candaces from the future show up, he is no longer there.
- Future Candace from a good future busts Phineas and Ferb when they build their first "Big Idea", the Coolest Coaster Ever, on the first day of summer. She also finds out how it disappears.
- This is the first episode that the future has few plots of the first episode, Rollercoaster.
- It's About Time!: The time machine from this episode reappears in this episode, along with the appearance of Professor Onassis, who created the original time machine.
- It is said by Candace that she will date Jeremy through high school and college and then marry him and have two kids, Xavier and Amanda, who are seen in this episode, along with Xavier's brother, Fred. ("The Best Lazy Day Ever", "Swiss Family Phineas", "Spa Day")
- Future Linda mentions that she's preparing for her Comeback-Comeback-Comeback-Comeback-Comeback-Comeback-Comeback Tour, presumably referring to her Lindana career ("Flop Starz , Ladies and Gentlemen, Meet Max Modem! ). She says that if she does two more comeback tours, she gets a free pie.
- At the end of Charmed Life, Doofenshmirtz holds a long note, along with the music at the end, it sounds the same as My Goody Two-Shoes Brother. ("Tree to Get Ready")
- In the alternative future, Doofenshmirtz changes everyone names to Joe so he doesn't have to remember any names. Sort of similar to when he names his crocodiles "Susan and Susan". ("The Ballad of Badbeard")
- Candace shimmies up the holographic tree the same way she did in Backyard Aquarium.
- The title is a play on the oft-parodied sequel title Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. It has been confirmed by Jeff "Swampy" Marsh that the episode's title was originally a more direct reference: "Time Machine 2: Quantum Boogaloo."
- Back to the Future Part II: The whole plot is a reference to Back to the Future Part II, both Candace and Marty McFly do something to disrupt the space-time continuum and it leads to their town becoming a polluted and corrupt place.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas (Past & Present)
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace (Past, Present & Future)
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb (Past & Present)
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella (Past & Present)
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet
- Caroline Rhea as Mom (Past, Present & Future)
- Kelly Hu as Stacy
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Doofenshmirtz (Past & Future)
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram (Future)
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry (Past & Future)
- Tyler Alexander Mann as Future Carl
- Jennifer Stone as Amanda
- Noah Munck as Xavier
- Moises Arias as Fred
- Jennifer Grey as Librarian (possibly Joe)
- Bowling For Soup as themselves